Clause G4 Ventilation (3rd Edition) is a code compliance document for New Zealand Building Code from the Department of Building and Housing.
The G4 Ventilation document requires the inclusion of trickle ventilators (such as our Easy Air trickle vent) as part of the ventilation solution for household units and accommodation units with only one external wall such as apartments, hotels and motels.
Simply specifying Easy Air vents in the window system is the easiest way to ensure compliance with Clause G4.
This Clause G4 Ventilation document is essential reading for anyone involved in the design and build of hotel, motel, apartment style buildings.
Under the current G4 ventilation requirements (3rd edition – effective from 1 November 2008), the following room layouts must have high level trickle ventilators included in the design:
- Where kitchens, bathrooms or laundries do not have an external wall (section 1.3.3)
- Habitable spaces with an external wall and that are open to a kitchen, bathroom or laundry with a passive stack ventilator (section 1.3.4)
- Habitable spaces with an external wall and no permanent opening to surrounding spaces (section 1.3.5)
- Habitable spaces with both one external wall and a permanent opening to a kitchen, bathroom, toilet or laundry, within which a continuous mechanical extract system is installed (section 1.4.2)
- Habitable spaces with one external wall and a permanent opening to a kitchen, bathroom, laundry, or toilet, within which an intermittent mechanical extract system is installed (section 1.4.3)
The following room layouts must have both high level and low level trickle ventilators:
- Habitable spaces without openings to the exterior, which are ventilated via another adjoining habitable space (section 1.3.6)
The following room layouts may use trickle ventilation to meet the building code:
- Kitchens, bathrooms or laundries that have an external wall (section 1.3.2)